As motorists, it has crossed all of our minds that we could be stranded at some point and need a jump start to get us going again. Years ago, the only option available to get back on the road was a motorist with jumper cables willing to give a boost. These days though, with portable jump starters, those days are over. All you have to do is charge it up and keep it in a cool dry place so it will be available when your battery dies. These handy jump starters perform other tasks like charging cell phones, too. Plus, having a jump starter is a safe, fast way to get you back on the road as soon as possible, especially if you are on the road at night. In this article, we have reviewed 10 of the best jump starters ranging in size and price from small and compact to ones used by professionals. Our goal is to help you choose the best jump starter for your individual needs.
A portable jump starter is a handy little device that acts as a battery from another car. It comes with alligator clamps similar to those on jumper cables and hooks up red for positive and black for negative. Once hooked up, the jump starter transfers its peak amperage to the battery and boosts it off. Once that is done, crank your car and unhook the jump starter, and you are ready to hit the road again. Here, we will answer some frequently asked questions so you can find the best jump starter for you.
1. What Is a Portable Jump Starter?
A portable jump starter is a device that eliminates the need for another vehicle and jumper cables to boost your car when the battery is dead. The compact device is small enough to be stored and holds a charge until you need it. It has a built-in set of alligator clamps to hook to your battery cables when needed. It delivers a charge to your battery to “jump” it off the same way the battery in another car and jumper cables would do.
2. What Does a Jump Starter Do?
Each jump starter has a maximum amount of peak amps. When hooked up to the car battery, either by push start or automatically, it will deliver those amps to the battery giving it the power to crank.
3. Does a Jump Starter Work for Every Battery?
Cars that have been sitting for a long time or batteries that are completely dead may not respond to the charge from even the best jump starter. A jump starter is made to use in the event that your car dies and you need to crank it, and one that is taken care of and kept charged should serve you with little problem. However, don't underestimate these handy tools, sometimes they will crank even the deadest of batteries.
4. Where Can You Buy the Best Jump Starter?
Jump starters can be bought at most department stores and auto parts stores. We will look at one of our favorite retailers below to purchase the 10 best jump starters.
How We Reviewed
We reviewed these jump starters based on their features, the pros and cons of each, their price, if they offer a warranty, and we listened to others' experiences with them as well. We feel we have provided the best jump starters based on the results of our research.
What We Reviewed
- Clore Automotive Jump-N-Carry KKC660 1700 Peak Amp 12 Jump Starter
- DBPOWER 600A 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter
- Beatit BT-D11 800A Peak 18000mAh 12V Portable Car Jump Starter
- NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter
- STANLEY FATMAX J7CS Jump Starter
- GOOLOO 800A Peak 18000mAh Car Jump Starter
- TENKER 500A 10800mAh Portable Car Jump Starter
- Schumacher PSJ-2212 DSR ProSeries 2200 Peak Amps Jump Starter
- DBPOWER 500A Peak 12000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter
- JACO BoostPro Car Battery Jump Starter – Portable Power Bank
- 【SUPER PORTABILITY】Unlike some big & heavy jump starters, this one is small & light enough to store in the glove...
- 【POWERFUL JUMP STARTER】This jump starter is able to jump start 12V vehicles (up to 7.2L petrol or 5.5L diesel...
- 【SMART PORTABLE CHARGER】This jump starter comes with dual USB outputs (including a smart USB output) and a DC...
Our next choice, the DBPower 600A boasts its ability to charge a 6.5L gas or a 5.2L diesel 20 times before needing a recharge. It is compact enough to be stored in a glove box and features a smart charging port for electronics. It also has intelligent jumper clamps with over-voltage, over-charge, over-load, and short circuit protection. It also carries an impressive 3-year warranty.
- Simple, easy & worked flawlessly jump starter highly recommended for emergency car kit
- With a peak of 800 Amps – it’s able to jump start flat batteries up to 30 times on a single charge. Work with all...
- Power bank of 18000mAh battery to charge cell phones, USB modem and laptop, emergency flashing lights, flash light . ....
The Beatit BT-D11 features a compact design that is made to be stored in your glove compartment. It offers 800 peak amps and boasts 30 jump starts for a 7.0L gas or 5.5L diesel engine before it needs to be recharged. It comes with heavy duty intelligent clamps and has 2 USB charging ports, a car charger, wall charger, and a flashlight. It also includes a 2-year warranty.
- Start Dead Batteries - Safely jump start a dead battery in seconds with this compact, yet powerful, 1000-amp portable...
- UltraSafe - Safe and easy to use car battery jump starter pack without the worry of incorrect connections or sparks....
- Multi-Function - It's a car jump starter, portable power bank, and LED flashlight. Recharge smartphones, tablets, and...
Key features for the NOCO Genius boost include 1,000 peak amps and 20 jump starts before a recharge is needed. It features spark proof technology and reverse polarity protection and is designed to be mistake-proof, which offers peace of mind. The battery will support up to 4 cellphone charges with each recharge. The NOCO does not offer a warranty.
- Delivers jump-starting power with 700 peak amps and 350 instant starting amps
- Reverse polarity alarm alerts when there is an improper connection; Connect the clamps to the battery, turn on the...
- Features a 120 PSI air compressor to help inflate tires with low pressure; High-powered LED light rotates 270 degrees to...
The Stanley Fatmax features a built-in 120 PSI air compressor to pump up those flats on the side of the road and 700 peak amps to boost your battery. It also comes with a reverse polarity alarm to alert you when there is an improper connection. It is easy to use; just connect the clamps, turn it on, and start your car. Add 3 charging ports and a powerful LED flashlight and you have one handy jump starter. The one-year warranty is also a nice touch.
- 1. Ultra Compact Car Jump Starter: Battery real capacity is 10000mAh( Non-Oversized), can jump start your vehicle up to...
- 2. Powerful Portable USB Charger: With 10000mAh capacity, charge phones, tablets, kindles and other devices at speeds of...
- 3. Ultra-bright LED Flashlight - Built-in LED flashlight with torch, strobe, and SOS signal modes. It has a strong beam...
Key Features of the GOOLOO 800A are 800 peak amps that work for 7.0L gas and 5.5L diesel engines, a powerful LED flashlight, and a multi-use rechargeable backup battery. It also features 5 advanced safety technologies including reverse polarity, overload, and overcharge protection. The 18-month warranty is nice too.
- 【Emergency Life Saver】 500A peak current is able to start 12V vehicles up to 3.0L gas or 2.0L diesel Engine in a...
- 【Quick Charge 3.0 Output】Besides 10800mAh capacity and a normal 5V/2.1A USB output, this jump starter is also...
- 【Safety Assurance】The intelligent clamps are specially designed with safety in mind. They feature anti-reverse...
The Tenker 500A features a slim design that delivers 500 peak amps of power. It will start 3.0 gas and 2.0 diesel engines without issue. It offers advanced safety features including intelligent clamps, overload protection, and over-charge protection. Lightweight, it can be stored in your glove compartment, and it has a powerful LED flashlight included. It also has a 3-year warranty and Tenker's reliable customer service.
- 2200 peak amperes, 330 cranking ampere and 275 cold cranking amperes
- 22 Ah professional grade, high output AGM battery
- 12 Volt DC power outlet
The Schumacher is a powerhouse that offers 2200 peak amps and 275 cold cranking amps. It has a professional grade, high-output AGM battery. It also has a built-in automatic charger. The cables are 40 gauge 50-inch ultra-flexible and the copper clamps are replaceable. This jump starter is universal and good for all vehicles. It also offers a one-year manufacturer's warranty.
- 【POWERFUL & COMPACT】 Jump start your vehicle (up to 7.0L petrol or 5.5L diesel engine) with 1000 amps of peak...
- 【INTELLIGENT PROTECTION】 The high quality intelligent jumper clamps with LED screen on it has over current...
- 【MULTIFUNCTIONAL LED FLASHLIGHT】 Easy access to the built-in LED flashlight with 3 modes (lighting/SOS/strobe) for...
The DBPower 500A has a modern compact design to fit in your glove compartment. It offers 400 amps of peak current and can jump start 3.0L gas and 2.5L diesel vehicles up to 20 times on one charge. It offers smart charging ports and intelligent clamps with over-charge, overload, short circuit, and other safety protection. It features an LED screen and compass as well as the 3-year warranty.
- Forget jumper cables forever - the ultra compact BoostPro jump box boasts a powerful 16,500 mAh battery with 600 amps of...
- Unbeatable roadside safety - features a super bright built-in LED safety flashlight with emergency SOS mode, rugged...
- Built to last a lifetime from military grade components - features a crisp LCD battery life display screen, and dual...
The JACO BoostPro is good for many applications and not just for vehicles, but it offers 600 peak amps for both gas and diesel engines up to 25 times on one charge. It also has a powerful LED light and dual USB ports. For a limited time, it comes with a home and car travel charger, 12 Volt DC power supply, 3-in-1 phone cable, and a hard zip case. It also has a 1-year warranty and lifetime priority customer support.
Based on our research of these 10 best jump starters, we discovered a lot of neat features and were surprised just how powerful some of these smaller compact models are. It is often thought that bigger is better, but sometimes, less really is more. This was definitely the case for our sleek compact models that we presented. Out of the 7 we presented, it was a tough choice to pick our favorite. We were impressed by the 3-year warranty and excellent customer service of the DB Power 500A and 600A and the Tenker 500A. We were quite impressed with the GOOLOO and the BeatIT that both offered 800 peak amps of power. We leaned toward the Jaco BoostPro because it is a power bank that can do so much more than boosting a car, but boost a car it does, and quite efficiently. In the end, though, we had to choose the NOCO Genius for best jump starter in the compact model because of its 1000 amps of cranking power and its advanced safety technology that is great for novice jumpers.